3 cups sugar
6 large eggs, room temperature
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup fresh lime juice (6 regular sized
limes gave me the zest and juice)
1/4 cup evaporated milk
4 teaspoons key lime zest, minced
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 300°. Grease and flour inside of tube pan.
- Using a mixer, beat the butter well until light in color and fluffy. Add the sugar and again beat well for at least 5-10 minutes.
- One at a time add the eggs and beat only until the yellow disappears.
- Stir juice, milk, zest and vanilla together.
- Gradually add flour to the butter-egg mixture alternating with the key lime juice and milk mixture. Begin and end with flour. Mix well but just enough to incorporate all ingredients.
- Pour evenly into the tube pan and tap pan on the counter to loosen any air bubbles.
- Bake for 1 hour and 35 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool on a cooling rack for 15-20 minutes in the pan then transfer from pan to cooling rack and allow to cool another hour or until completely cool.
The cake is far better the following day or 2 days later.
Lime Cream Cheese Icing
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3-4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed key lime juice
- 2-3 teaspoons key lime zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Using a hand mixer beat cream cheese and butter in a large bowl until well mixed.
- Add confectioner’s sugar and beat well until completely smooth and fluffy.
- Add key lime juice, zest and vanilla and mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Ice cake.
This makes quite a bit of icing. After icing the entire pound cake I fill the middle hole with the excess icing. When the cake is served icing can be taken from the middle and dolloped along the side the slice of cake.