Friday, October 26, 2012
Apple Crumble Bars
2 T. butter
5 large apples, peeled and sliced
3 T. sugar
3/4 t. cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
9 ounces of caramel, unwrapped (about 40)
2 T. heavy cream or half and half
1 1/2 c. flour
1 c. oatmeal
1/3 c. sugar
1/3 c. brown sugar
3/4 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. cinnamon
12 T. cold butter, cut into small pieces
1 large egg yolk
1 t. vanilla extract
1/2 c. chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)
1. Heat oven to 375˚. Use a 9 x 9 pan or a 7 by 11 pan. Line it with parchment paper or foil.
2. Filling: use a large skillet melt 2 T. butter; stir in apple slices, sugar, cinnamon, and nuteg. Cook, stirring occasionally until the apples are golden brown and caramelized, about 15 minutes. Use a lid on the skillet for aid in thoroughly cooking - steaming the apples. Remove from heat.
3. Prepare dough: Combine flour, oats, sugars, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in food processor; stir to blend. Add butter pieces and process on spurts until butter is cut into dough. Reserve 1/3 of this dough for the topping.
4. Add egg yolk and vanilla to the remaining dough and process again. Place this dough into bottom of pan and press to form the crust. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes at 375˚.
5. Combine the caramels and cream in saucepan over medium low heat. Stir until totally smooth.
6. Pour the carmel mixture over the crust. Layer the apples over the caramels. Top with the remaining crumble. Add the nuts on top.
7. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely (at least 30 minutes) before slicing and serving.